Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Day of the Dead Ham Shrine


I finished up my first ham can this morning. I like the way it looks. The colors look pretty garish in the photo - but they're quite nice in person. The skull tree is covered with ultra fine German glass glitter and is quite glamourous looking. The milagros used will protect one (or heal one) from harm to the arm, house, leg, foot, and car. The miniature crepe paper flowers are really wonderful - but one would have to be insane to try to make a lot of them. They seem to be quite time consuming - and cover very little area. The cross is quite a lovely piece of silver with the long extensions of the cross wrapped in pale gold/yellow silk thread. I think the only way you can really see some of the detail is by clicking on the photo and enlarging.

Well, that was fun! I am going to make two more. Then I'll have to go back to making mini theatres ... unless I decide I must have more ham salad this week - then I'll have to buy more cans!

4 comments:

Lola Enchanted said...

Wow, this is sooo creative!!! I would've never thought to do this!!! I love the little skulls and flowers!!!!!!


Hope your having a GREAT day!

Enchanted Productions by Joyce Stahl said...

Hi Tristan!

WOW! That's just too cool!!!!!
What a great idea and who would've thought!!!!

I've been researching the Day of the Dead for awhile now. I'd like to try making some DOTD dolls soon.

Can't wait to see what you do with the other two ham tins!

Enchanted Blessings!
Joycee

Pam @ Frippery said...

I love shrines. What a great idea for reuse. I have been going over your other posts. Beautiful work. Your "front yard" is charming. I love historic areas. I will be stopping by often for inspiration. Pam

Christopher A. Klingler said...

Hi Tristan ~ My dear friend JoycEE sent me over to check out your FAB blog & FUN goodies!!!

LOVE the ham can shrine! TOO FUN!!!

Cheers,
Chris :-)