Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Retro Danger, Regal Residence, Awards, and Home Furnishings Emergency

Ah OH!
Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!
Beware of impending contest ahead!


It's yet another - and the last one for a while! - contest! These photos were posted on another blog, and I was gobsmacked when I discovered who owned this royal and regal retreat! I can't credit the original blog right now, because the answer is there. But, I will credit the original post after the prize has been won. I'll announce the winner as soon as somebody guesses correctly.

Who owns and lives in this home?

Trust me here, the answer is not Tristan - though, indeed, if fate had been more kind in the past ....

I believe I should be reclining and reading my novel of the weekend on this exquisite chaise! I genuinely don't believe the real owner and dweller in this home appreciates it as I would!

And you would all be invited to come have a seat, and a martini, and just the lightest of chat, so that you wouldn't be distracted in your oohing and ahhing.

Seriously, check out this chair!

Ah, how I love the subtlety of simple drapes and unadorned walls.
Okay. So this room should belong to me ... it's the room where I should live and spend my days - and nights. But it's not. And when I was told who did reside here, you could have knocked me over with a feather. Okay, one of those concrete lawn ornaments feathers, but still...

Who do YOU think owns and lives here? The winning answer will received two wonderful books on making your home more beautiful. I have a copy of the "Soft Furnishings" book, and it really is a terrific tutorial on making lavish pillows, draperies, etc. And I learned how to make a slip cover for my sofa from this book. I learned how. I didn't actually do it. I felt that perhaps, in this case, a little knowledge was a dangerous thing. I thought that this book was an appropriate prize for an interior design guessing question. The other book "Home Decorating Solutions" is a just that. Fun, easy to follow directions and some clever ideas.

So - ladies and gentlemen - line up and place your answers in the comment section of this post!


I received this charming award from Becs at Rebecca Rose Designs.
If you have never been to Becs blog, please take a moment to check it out! Thanks so much!, Becs - I'm touched that you thought of me. Of course, some just think I'm touched - or is that teched?

Danger, Again, Will Robinson! Danger! Home Furnishings Needing Repair Ahead! Danger!

This is one of my favorite lamps - it's enameled and HEAVY and I just love it. However, it's several years old and the shade has gotten dingy and it's no longer fresh. However, I can't find this shape anywhere - and I really like the shape. I thought about TRYING to recover it myself, but when I looked at the inside, and saw that there was some kind of silk ribbon wound around the wire structure before the shantug was stretched, I realized I was way out of my area of expertise. And I decided a greyed out shade was better than no shade at all. How does one go about finding a person who does this kind of work - I tried "lamp repair" and it was only for electrical work - and there is no listing for lamp SHADE repair/replacement. Any ideas, oh, talented and wise readers?

I hope everybody enjoyed their holiday weekend. I got a lot of work done, including quite a few swap commitments that I need to accomplish. And we saw Judith Ivey (who I just adore)

(If she looks familiar, but you can't place the name, you
probably remember her from "Designing Women, or from playing Harry
Connick, Jr.'s mother on "Will and Grace.")


in The Glass Menagerie on Saturday...it was the best production I've ever seen. It was completely re-thought (the staging, not the script - it's difficult to improve on Tennessee!), thought-provoking and exciting.

Before you travel on to your next blog, remember to guess to whom the mystery house belongs!

So, if you're not going to make my lampshade beautiful again, go make something beautiful for your house or friend!
♥´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*´¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´♥ Tristan ♥

Update: After 17 posts, no correct answer yet!

24 comments:

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Hi Tristan! It is me, the lucky two-time winner! I'll tell you now however, that I won't be winning this one because I have no clue but here is a guess: Opray Winfrey. Heeee! Just a guess. Anita

Pam @ Frippery said...

I have no idea who lives there but I agree you would probably appreciate it more than whoever does. I am thinking outlandish spending and not much time spent there so I will say Sharon and Ozzie Osbourne. I may take you up on the jacket construction help, but the pattern says 34 " bust...umm, I don't think so. How do I change it, or should I just look for a similar one ready made. (Sounds easier to me) I did find a small local lighting shop a few years ago that recovered lamp shades so I would look harder, I'm sure you could find one near you as well. Interior design services should be able to point you in the right direction. Yikes, long comment, I'll shut up now!

Anonymous said...

To get this whole guessing "thing" out of the way......
Donald Trump lives there.....

As for your lamp.... I am so sorry but I have no clue how to fix it. Sorry.....

Hope you have a great day!!

Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

I have no idea who lives in the *simple* rooms..... ;) ....but I do know about lampshades. They are not that hard to recover. Leave the binding on the wires. Gently cut off the old fabric and make a pattern from whichever panel is the best, then always cut a bit larger. I prefer to have to do a second seam rather than recut the whole piece.
Glue guns and premade trim are great for finishing the edges. And that wrapped wire is what you secure the fabric to.
Seriously, you could do it. You might throw a few fits, but you could do it!

XXXOOO!!!

Chris said...

I'm not sure about who lives there. My first guess was Donald Trump actually. I can't wait to fin out who it is.

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

I call dibs on that glorious home!!! I haven't a clue as to whom it belongs.

What I DO have to comment on is the first photo! LOST IN SPACE!!! That was my ULTIMATE FAVORITE SHOW of all time when I was a kid (OK... I was watching reruns at the time!)! lol

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

PS - the Alessi Harmonica teakettle! (You have a very loving and generous sister!) =)

Malisa said...

Don't ask me why. My first guess is Jerry Lewis.

Malisa

Malisa said...

Cher?

Shell said...

I can't even guess. I'll for way out on left field.. Linday Lohan. That place is simply goregous.
I love Judith Ivey too, she is an amazing actress. I like I guess every other drama student did a scene from The Glass Menagerie. I always have a fondess for the play.

caren said...

I believe that house belongs to a woman who had a bad marriage and now has her husbands head stuffed and proudly displayed on the mantel in the first picture. She lives in the grand palace and has wild parties and her guests all know to treat her with respect so as not to end up next to the hubby. Sick? maybe - but that is what caught my eye first. LOL

ceecee said...

Wouldn't it be funny if this house actually belongs to Billy Mumy - the real Will Robinson? My little sister had such a crush on him. I'm gonna say George Clooney.
I understand about the lamp - which is Gorgeous by the way - I have the same problem with a man's umbrella that I found in an empty cab in NYC. I always wonder who left it behind. A real Duke of Windsor accessory. I'd have to send it off to England to have it restored properly. Good luck. Thanks so much for your comments and compliments, Tristan.
Catherine

Frieda Oxenham said...

No idea, whose house this is, but I do wonder if they would like to swap it for a rustic cottage in the Scottish Borders!!

Frieda Oxenham said...

I do know of someone who makes lampshades to order but she is in the U.K. Here is the link:
http://www.shadesofchoice.talktalk.net/

Saw some of her work in a TV show and it looked exquisite!

Talking Horses Arts said...

Dear Tristan, how wonderful of you to show everyone some pictures of my home. You do know there are more rooms you could have gotten pictures of? my dear all you had to do is ask..lol
Ok..Have no idea whose home this is, but wanna live there!
The one lamp shade I tried to fix..well...lets just say that I cannot be of any help there either..sorry.But had a wonderful weekend digging ten holes for ten trees. Thanks for sharing, love the pictures!
Andrea.

Linda and Michelle said...

Wayne Newton??? No idea where that came from.....

Anonymous said...

Hi Trustin,
LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog. So much fun and great pics. I am hooked as well. By the way I think someone else answered but I think it is donald Trump as well, it seems I have seen that chair before.

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't I love to live in this house... I have no idea who lives/lived there. But when you say you were gobsmacked when you discovered who owned this It has to be someone plainer than one might think. Very ornate and I love what looks like a "stuffed" head on the fire place : )

Good luck with that beautiful lamp... I have no ideas.

I'm sending your steampunked piece tomorrow.

Pattee

Anonymous said...

Alright, I'm gonna have to go with (looks left and right and whispers)
Ms. Brittney Spears.
xoxox Rhonda Roo

PS. I could wear your old lampshade on my head for your next party, but i am afraid that is my extent of reinventing them.....

Glue Girl said...

Hi, Tristan. Hey, first of all, I think the house belongs to Elton John. Second, how tall is your lampshade? I have one justlike it that I am not using, and I could be convinced to part with it in exchange for goodies or artwork or a combination of both of the above. The shade I have is 11-1/2 inches tall and is oatmeal in color. Has never been used. Let me know. Christine

Sue said...

Oh wow. Gorgeous pics of whomever's house! So rich and warm looking. My first guess was Stevie Nicks, then I thought Cher cause I remember seeing pics of her Gothic home years ago, then I thought Ivanka Trump....and then I thought - I have no idea! Looking forward to seeing who suffers living in this squalor.

Can't help you with the lamp Tristan, but I vaguely remember seeing something on the internet about recovering lamp frames. Will see if I can find it for you.

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH! I KNOW THIS! IT'S MICKY ROURKE'S HOUSE ISN'T IT? (I'm pretty sure I saw this on the Barbara Walters interview)

Sonia said...

I'm going to guess Warren Buffet!!! LOL, its got to be someone with lots of Mula. But OMG!! whats with the archbishop's head on the Mantel??!! Its scary!!! :p.
About your lovely lamp. I covered a coule of shades, they turned out allright I guess. Depends on how picky you are...LMAO
OK, Tristan, I have to confess with you, I love your background music selection. I keep your blog page up on my laptop for hours just to listen to the music... Soft and pretty music... well done!!
Sonia

sew revived said...

Hi Tristan,
Since your lampshade is fabric, you could dye it or decoupage it rather than replace it. You're definitely creative enough! Oh, and my guess, William Shatner as you posted will robinson...