Saturday, May 30, 2009

A Poem for Saturday Night


Poem About Light

You can try to strangle light:
use your hands and think
you've found the throat of it,
but you haven't.
You could use a rope or a garrote
or a telephone cord,
but the light, amorphous, implacable,
will make a fool of you in the end.

You could make it your mission
to shut it out forever,
to crouch in the dark,
the blinds pulled tight—

still, in the morning,
a gleaming little ray will betray you, poking
its optimistic finger
through a corner of the blind,
and then more light,
clever, nervy, impossible,
spilling out from the crevices
warming the shade.

This is the stubborn sun,
choosing to rise,
like it did yesterday,
like it will tomorrow.
You have nothing to do with it.
The sun makes its own history;
light has its way.

---Kathleen Sheeder Bonanno

11 comments:

Sabrina Vourvoulias said...

Nice.

By the way -- got the contest prize. Yay! You are so talented.

Baroness Bijoutery said...

Very nice Tristan..Thank you for posting it...

Anonymous said...

Damn I wish that was true in the Pacific NW!!!! Not so not so.....
Pattee

Shell said...

A lovely poem for a Saturday night.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

What a joy it is to know that above the clouds is the omnipresent sun and light! Thank you Tristan and merci for coming to my blog. It is an honor! I thought of you when I made my Marie wig; you always say, "Go out and make something beautiful." Well I love it! Those heads were a true find! Ciao, Anita

Carolee said...

What a lovely poem, and so true!

~ Carolee

Anonymous said...

What a thought provoking poem for Sunday Morning too!
As I sit here on a quiet Sunday Morning... the water fountain running by my sunroom window I look out at the bright morning sun.... Beautiful, warming & a reminder the days go on.
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

Lola Enchanted said...

Oh I just love that poem Tristan!!

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

Love it Tristan---I so need that sun right now, outside and in!

XXXOOO!!!!!

Glennis said...

Love it. Sly and dark, yet hopeful.

I love the second photo - what is it, a look up at a lighting fixture? It look like the iris of an eye.

Debby said...

Great poem, Tristan! Love the pics. A little behind here, but getting there.
debby