Thursday, April 30, 2009

Scandalous Fashion!

With thanks to Ingrid of Fashion Is My Muse, I wanted to share this wonderful article, reprinted from the New York Times November 29, 1908.

So often today we see such outrageous clothing (and/or lack thereof sometimes!), we forget that every generation has its scandals and outrages in fashion. It seems this New York Times writer was quite chagrined at the clinging fabrics of which many fashions were being constructed. And - horror of horrors - hats had gone to tiny little bits from huge theatrical displays of plumes and vegetation!

You'll need to click on the image to make it grooooooow into something able to be read. But it's so much fun. I love the rather stuffy and condescending tone of this critic who is obviously somewhat dismayed by current fashion standards! ... right at the height of corsets and girdles and multi-layered foundation garments, etc.! Critics never change! ... and, it seems, neither does fashion!


I hope you enjoyed that - I got a real kick out of it. Now, I'm off to work on a few altered tags for a Marie swap - I hope you're making something delightful! Don't disappoint me!
♥´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*´¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´♥ Tristan ♥

8 comments:

Ingrid Mida said...

I know every time you write a post, there will be something to surprise and delight. Today I was surprised to see my name mentioned. LOL! I'd totally forgotten about the article altogether. Thanks for the mention. You are a sweetheart.

Anonymous said...

Startling clinging gowns, and cone hats, oh my! Imagine if they would have seen a@@less chaps in those days! What a fun post, thanks to you and Fashion Is My Muse for sharing!
I can't wait to see your Marie tags :)

studioJudith said...

Ah yes ... . outrage, indeed.

But the most outrageous note was under the photo - which declared Mme Lilly Lehmann to be 60 Years OLD!

Appalling.

Clearly she should have had the grace to die long before that advanced age.

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

And all this proves I have been right all along; make your own fashion and flip everyone else off! Life's too short for beige or critics!!!!

Sue said...

One of my favorite eras is around the 1910s when Paul Poiret revolutionized so much of Paris fashion with
the Ballet Russes and oriental influences. Scandalous? For the times, yes, but oh so wonderful! Loved the article, I envision the writer at his old black typewriter, with his nose slightly in the air and a rather pinched expression on his face.

Thanks for sharing this Tristan!

Anonymous said...

My theory is wear what you want, do what you want with whom you choose. After having lost both of my parents & a few friends I have come to realize life is far to short to try to please the masses. It just ain't worth it!!
Love you post Tristan!!
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

That is a hoot. You find the best stuff for us to enjoy. Thanks Tristan and I am really enjoying my book that you sent me. Take care now! Anita

peggy gatto said...

Hats off to you!!!