Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Try To Find Some Balance...

Do you ever feel as if you just have too many things going, and that something was just going to have to come to a screeching halt so you can jump off the merry-go-round or die of centrifugal force?

For the past week I've had an on-and-off again ear ache...something that is new to me. I wasn't concerned as I didn't really think I was going to go deaf. But finally, it got so bad I went to the doctor. I always hate having doctors look in my ears - I'm so afraid that the q-tip missed something and my mother is going to die of humiliation.
It turns out that I have a nasty ear infection, requiring three medications. One of them is eardrops. I've never had eardrops before. I find them most unpleasant. There is one positive thing about it, however; with all the antibiotics, my skin is porcelain clear. Who knew there could be an upside to painful ear aches?...although, I guess this could be an example of 'no pain no gain.' I asked the doctor what could have caused it, so I could avoid it in the future. He asked if I swim (which I do at the gym), because public pools are a major reason for ear infections. So, from now on, I'm the one wearing ear plugs. I'm sure I'll be the only one not bathing with my ears au naturel - but I'm not going through this again!
And I have been busy trying to get some work finished up. I've created a few tussie mussies for my Etsy shop and a teensy tiny 4" square minature Marie Antoinette theatre. I got inspired by Joy and Gabriella and their week-long 'toinette fete - not that it takes much to get me excited about making something Marie-inspired! I will post pictures later ... my camera has died and I must recharge the battery.

Some friends have asked us to go camping...which is something I used to love to do! However, in my dotage, I find that my idea of roughing it is not having turn-down service. Now, if I could count on our campground looking something like this little bohemian artists' campout, I might very well change my mind. However, I believe it's far more likely that our site would be Coleman-inspired.

I'm going to leave you with this wonderful photo I found. I will bet that after John Michael left town to live in New York, the church Christmas pageants were just never the same.

Okay - make something beautiful - or even something ordinary to get your juices flowing! Just make something!
♥´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*´¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´♥ Tristan ♥


23 comments:

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

Have wondered where you were---figured something was up since you were fairly SILENT.....AHEM!!!
Hope you're feeling lots and lots better as I have been the same route and it is not fun.
And I did make art yesterday, and it is posted on my blog this morning!
So check me out Baby!

XXXOOO

mo.stoneskin said...

I also was a little miffed at your absence. Forget earplugs, you could just swim in a motorcycle helmet.

HiHo said...

jumped off my merry-go-round for the day yesterday...feel like a new person. Toured the FDR Hyde Park home, I recomend it, however they don't let you take photo's inside and their postcards and web site are weak on photo's.
You have a gift of desribing just how I feel.
you feel better soon.
Heidi

Anonymous said...

Poor Baby.... Hope you feel better soon!
Hey.... While you are using the ear drops.... They will probably make your hearing muffled. You can always use that as an excuse to say "Huh?? I can't hear you"!
My DH has lost some of his hearing due to his occupation & he does that to me all the time!! Makes me crazy... Just want to .... Nevermind!!
Whew...almost admitted something there...
TTYL!!
Easter Hugs,
Marilyn
xxoo

Valerie said...

Today's post was just a hoot! You are hilarious.

Few thoughts to share...

Been there on the swimmer's ear/earache thing. You know it's bad when you are self-medicating with your Darvocet, prescribed for your c-section, that you refused to take b/c you were a martyring-nursing mommy! Thank God I didn't clean out my medicine cabinet!

As far as camping...I'm not a big fan either, but do it to appease my spouse! For a step above Coleman, I might suggest L.L. Bean and if you really just want a reason to spluge find an outfitter's shop that sells Northface! LOL

Take care,
Valerie

Georgina said...

Ouch!!! I had one years ago and it was very painful. Luckily, you didn't lose your balance!! LOL

Created something wonderful yesterday, but today is "Mom Day" so going to spend the day with my 86 year old mommy. Will get back on that wagon tomorrow...can't wait.

And please take care of yourself...ear plugs are a good thing!

Abrazos,
Georgina

Tumbleweed Trails said...

I am so sorry about your earache/infection, but it sure made for a wonderful post and some great pictures. You always make me smile Tristan! Ah, yes, those antibiotics do make for porcelain clear skin. The last time I needed super duper doses of IV antibiotics I was beautyful. Hmm, carrying it to far? Ok, but my skin was clear. Time for my veins to have another slug!
Get Well.

Malisa said...

Ouch! I am the ear infection queen so just email me if you need anything! Since I was a child, my left eardrum ruptures twice a year. Talk about PAIN! I even had a mastoidectomy a couple of years ago. The details of the surgery are gruesome...they cut around your ear and lay it over on your face while they rebuild the inner ear. Sad thing is that my eardrum has started to rupture again which usually indicates that the surgery is needed again. Crap! Anyway, I pity you because I understand the pain!

While swimming, try one of those old rubber swim caps your mother probably wore in the 50s!? Would be very attractive!!!

I love love love that campsite! I want to recreate that somewhere! Thanks for the inspiration!

Love John Michael! I will cast him in my Christmas pageant!

Malisa

studioJudith said...

1. So sorry to hear of of Ear Malfunction.

2. These pics are over the top FAB!

3. Do NOT go camping without your
BunnyBoys costume ! (it's Easter AND your ears will need protection)

Deborah said...

Please forgive me for laughing SO hard at your painful expense...this post is a hoot! Every word. Now, could someone please send the blind boy on AI home, because WE are not deaf!
**blows kisses**

peggy gatto said...

Once again you made my day with your zany pictures!!!
Hope the meds do their work fast!!!!

Donna @ Party Wishes said...

First, the description in the first paragraph is my life on a daily basis.

Secondly, why do men wait until they are dying or going deaf before they go to the doctor? Just wondering!

Thirdly, I hope your ear feels better soon!!!!

Debs said...

So very sorry to hear you're feeling under the weather.I too have suffered from ear infections for many years.Mine were caused from excessive use of q-tips! I damaged the wall linings of my ears,very painful and ended up loosing some of my hearing,which isn't all bad as I have a nagging hubby and four demanding kids!
Big hugs from England
Debs xxx

Ingrid said...

Happy easter from Norway! Nice blog you've got here! :)

Kaerie Faerie said...

Hey, I love your blog, can't wait to check out your Marie theater, so funny, I'm working on a french faerie party this month, who knew we all loved marie
Kaerie Faerie

Ingrid Mida said...

I am glad to hear that you've been to the doctor. Only you could create an amusing and magical post out of that! I've been running and haven't stopped...a friend was very ill, still in ICU but things are looking up. I just cannot create when I'm that stressed. I'm looking forward to seeing your MA theatre. Maybe it will inspire me to get back to the studio!

Sue said...

LOL, too funny Tristan. Not the ear bug, that is crappy and I'm glad that you are on meds - and that your skin is also benefitting *smiles*

Your post as always is a
day brightener. You have such a way with words and pics. I would have loved to see John Michael in a church Christmas pageant. Over-the-top priceless.

Sugar and Spice Art Confections said...

I do hope you feel better soon. Earaches are most tedious and unpleasant.

Anonymous said...

Tristan,

I am sorry to hear about your ear infection. Ever since we have moved to Texas, my ears itch constantly and fluid drains from my ears. I have to use ear drops to keep it from really getting bad. Nothing is worse than having your ears itch...it will drive you crazy. My doctor asked me if I went swimming often. I told him I never go swimming??? So that brings me to the question "Where does the fluid come from in my ear?" He doesn't seem to know!!!!

Kris

Deanna said...

Sorry about your ear infection but dear, do not stick a Q-tip inside your ear. You should only wipe the outside of the ear with a Q-tip.

Be sure to finish all of your antibiotics and despite everything, I'm glad to hear that your skin is looking magnificent!

Deanna :D

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you're not feeling well.
I don't mind the doctor looking into my ears but having to use ear drops makes me cringe. Get Well Soon!

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

So sorry to read about your nasty ear infection, those are never fun!!! Best you went though so it didn't get worse. Feel better soon!
On the camping front I've camped the majority of my life but "dotage" as you say now means it's either an splendid RV or a lovely hotel. ALTHOUGH now I am jonesing for that beautiful parasol looking sun shade with the lanterns....you find THE best images!!!
Take care.
XO

Gabriela said...

Hello Tristan,

The Marie Antoinette theater is fabulous! What kind of camera do you have? We all learned trying over and over again, playing with lights and angles...


~ Gabriela ~