Saturday, April 18, 2009

Pink Saturday - April 18 - Okay, I'm a Little Late...

Before we get into pink delights, I have to recommend to everybody who loves Belle Epoch style - 19th century French interior and fashions - and all things lush and over-the-top, the 1950 film So Long at the Fair starring Jean Simmons and Dirk Bogarde, with Cathleen Nesbitt, Honor Blackman and David Tomlinson (the father in Mary Poppins when he was young!) It's a fairly decent mystery with very good performances (it took me awhile to figure out it was Cathleen Nesbitt - her French is so impeccable, I just presumed it was a French actress!). It was a mystery more in the style of Agatha Christie than Alfred Hitchcock...lots of red herrings and close calls. We were very aware in a couple of scenes how the absence of underscoring really added to the suspense, and just knowing if it were remade, it would be filled with lots of orchestral stings and chords which supposedly would make it more thrilling - but wouldn't.

But - wow! The settings and costuming are just exquisite! It's more like a Hollywood version of French Belle Epoch style than actual recreations - but that makes it even more ... well, more MORE! It takes place at the Paris Exhibition when the Eiffel Tower was first presented to the public. The recreation of the Exhibition is really lovely - and a scene with a balloon ride exhibition is wonderful.
We saw it on Turner Classic Movies (TCM), but I understand it's available on DVD. I'm definitely going to get a copy so I can watch this gem at least once a year! This photo gives only a glimpse of the interior of a lobby of small French hotel ... but the bedrooms in this hotel - oh, my! They are just magical.
You can see a small clip of the film here - though, disappointingly, none of the really outrageously beautiful design work is on display there.



Okay - It's time for Pink Saturday!
And speaking of time (okay - go ahead and groan. I couldn't come up with anything more clever - sue me), isn't this French beauty a keeper! It's a little hard to see - but the face is on the left side of the piece. There is so much enamel work and ormolu on it that it's hard to find the clock face!
This pale pink French porcelain clock is pretty - but a little too grandmotherly for my taste...not that I don't love my grandmother, you understand! I just don't need this particular style. I can just hear my grandmother saying that it's "precious"...and I've never really considered either of the words "cute" nor "precious" particularly complimentary. But that's me.
Now this treasure I could live with very easily ... I can just hear the designer now, "well, eet's a lovely clock, but vhat szhould we do to feeneesh eet?! But, ov course! A complete funeral urn vit lid und finial! VoilĂ  "
This French beauty is all pink marble - I always admire a clock that will double as an elevator counterweight. Seriously - how heavy must this clock be?! It would have to go into a place with a marble mantle, because it would crash through any normal piece of furniture!
I believe this is the 19th century French version of an illuminated digital clock. You have light to see what time it is even in the dark. I've always wondered what to do to decorate the wide screen tv...I can just see this as the classic tv console set...
I must say, I'm very impressed with the French designers who choose to incorporate funeral urns with their clocks...that's really a very space-saving and efficient function, when you think about it. Though I think the painting and ormolu and porcelain of this set is fabulous, it's just a tad of a shade off for me. It's just too pale of a pink. It seems to me like a baby pink or a pink that would be on a six-year-old's ballet tutu - and I don't believe that a child should have to face funeral ash urns that young. I envision nightmares that would turn the poor child off pink forever...and that would never do! Beverly would be unhappy!
Okay - this clock has everything I've made fun of - top urns with finials, a very pink colour, side bar ash urns - however, this one works for me. I want it. I deserve it. I demand it. sigh. I'll never have it.
Okay. Let's leave the French museum pieces. If I can't have 'em, to heck with 'em!

Now this pink charmer I can see owning. It would be great in a bathroom - though I don't think that there's anything going on in a bathroom that takes so long you have to check the time...but you never know.
I think this next pink sparkler is a Juicy Couture - but don't hold me to it. I don't know for sure. But it looks like it to me. My sister would probably trade in her husband to have this clock.
I used to have a telephone that looked like it belonged in a set with this neon stunner! My phone had green and pink neon running around the base. I loved it. But I think I like this clock even better! I don't have a retro 50's kitchen - but if I did, I would certainly bloodhound out this one!
I can't possible say anything as witty or clever as this charmer is all by itself!
Pink cupcakes ... having just come from Lisa's Mermaid party over at Faeries Enchanted (if you haven't been there yet, be sure to go read the last six-count-em-six posts! The lady can throw a blog event!) where there were lots of luscious cupcakes to see, this clock would fit right in.
I love this next beauty ... such classic deco styling. It really belongs in a Fred-and-Ginger flick. Did they ever dance to the Pink Saturday Beguine?
This pink number is so charming and accessible. I can see it in anybody bedroom - but especially in Lucy and Ricky's.
I know that a lot of people have posted photos of their pink Mix Masters (which I'm totally coveting, by the way), but I don't think anybody yet has posted one of a pink Mix Master with a clock! Now that's a convenient way to know how long you've been mixing or whipping!
Short of yodeling, what can I say?
And, to show you how pathetically bourgeois I truly am: out of all the fabulous, exotic, exquisite and splendid clocks on this page, this is the clock that I would most want to own. And I would always be able to tell just how hot my clock really was! I can see this sitting next to my bed and making me smile every night before I turned out the light!
Well, that's my Beverly's Pink Saturday post. I hope you've enjoyed your time (*snort*) here today. Try to make your way through all the wonderful Pink Saturday collections being shown today. If you don't know about Beverly's Pink Saturday, where have you been??? No, seriously, if you don't know about Beverly's Pink Saturday, just go here for the list of participants.

And then, after you're all inspired - go make something fabulous!
♥´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*´¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´♥ Tristan ♥

34 comments:

Valarie said...

Wow, the clocks are beautiful!! I agree with you, my favorite is definately the same one you picked. Way over the top, which is my style!! Have a wonderful weekend.

Anonymous said...

Trista, those clocks are amazing!
Funny how you mention that movie, I watch TCM not only for the flicks, but to ooh and ahh at the wonderful clothes and furnishings :) Have a lovely and pink weekend!

LuLu Kellogg said...

These clocks are just amazing. I love the one with the bling bling the most!

Hope you are having a wonderful and creative weekend :)

LuLu~*xoxo

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Hey Tristan!
First of all, I must see the movie that you recommended; I thought I had seen every movie under the sun with a French flair, but this one sounds like fun to watch! What an incredible Pink display!! You are a hoot. I must participate. Have a great Pink evening! Anita

Debs said...

I think I get the clock/urn combo-time is ticking by for us all!
On a lighter note,have a fun weekend
Love Debs x

Kaerie Faerie said...

I love all the pink, and the over the top Fabulous French art.
Hey check out my French Faerie Party, kaeriefaerie52.blogspot.com
There is going to be a Let them eat cake give-away, and all my Marie you know who inspired gowns. I know you will love it!
Karey

Sue said...

I actually like the clock/urn combo clocks - appeal to my sense of humour. My fave clocks are the pink "bathroom" one and the deco......fab.

Haven't seen that movie and would love to, particularly if the costuming is exceptional.

Have a great weekend!

Char said...

This is all new to me Tristan. You opened a whole new world of pink to my eyes, beautiful to say the least, Happy Pink Saturday, Char

Doug said...

Watched So Long at the Fair last night too. Loved it. The woman who played the French hotel owner was wonderfully creepy. And I loved seeing Dirk looking so young. It's now one of my favorites.

fairiemoon said...

I love the pink clocks!
Happy Pink Saturday!
Erin :)

http://www.fairiemoon.typepad.com/fairiemoon/

Chris said...

I really love the very first picture! Have a great weekend.

Claudia said...

I love all the clocks - fantastic! You are so right about underscoring in movies. I find that most modern movies overdo the underscoring - it is almost as if the filmmakers don't trust the story and the acting. They have to hit us over the head with music in every moment. I will definitely have to see this one.
Happy Pink Saturday!

bernadette ostrozovich said...

you amaze me more and more on a darn near daily basis! there is nobody like you! the movies, the hunks, the pinks nonpareil! and that doesn't even begin to touch upon the art! i am so glad that there is you!!! bear hugs and butterfly kissies!

Beverly said...

Tristan, I'm running behind visiting, but at least I am finally managing to squeeze in "time" for a few visits.

And, I can't imagine a better way to begin my day than with this post. You had me laughing aloud. You have certainly found a pink clock that would suit anyone. The only time I am a clock-watcher is when it is approaching time to leave work, but how could I resist "pink time".

Pink clocks and pink time to all.

Gabriela said...

Happy Pink Saturday!

Pink Time! Woo Hoo! I love the very first clock with the cupids...I guess I will fight over it with Joy?
LOL!!!


~ Gabriela ~

Ingrid Mida said...

Wow, I've never seen so many beautiful clocks in one place!! I especially love the first French clock. Its opulence is just glorious and very Marie Antoinette in style.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Hi Tristan! What a nice surprise to see your comment. Yes, isn't that walk-in shower a charm? I can't wait! I so enjoy your posts. And I can't wait to get my book in the mail! Many thanks. May all the glitter of the magic continue! A la prochaine! Anita

Glennis said...

What an amazing assortment of clocks. And they're pink, too! The gaudy French ones are both marvelous and hideous, in a fun way. That third one - phew! Where is the kitchen sink? My favorite one is the bathroom one - something about that chunky bakelite I really like. Also the Ricky and Lucy clock.

Flamingos are pretty cool, though. I have a flamingo with a thermometer like that - though not a clock.

Can't wait to see what's coming up next! Have a great weekend.

BoneyLittleFingers said...

Better late than never! No comment has ever been truer... you never fail to delight!

Pink clocks galore... I love the art deco ones the best so I wouldn't fight you for the flamengo thermo number. I hope you smile every night, regardless, when you turn out your light.

Karen

Anonymous said...

Wow!! I want the Desi & Lucy style clock for my bedroom!! I want the Flamingo one... well just because I love flamingo's!! (Don't see a lot of em' in NE Pennsylvania!! LOL!!
Loved the post!!
Have a wonderful Sunday!!
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

Le_Vintage said...

oh my you're blog is such a treat!!!! some of those clocks are gaudy and others are gorgeous, what a fine line to cross!!!

have a wonderful week!

Linda and Michelle said...

Who knew there was so much pink? I loved looking at every single one!

Anonymous said...

You are a sweetheart Tristan, thank you :)
And thanks for sharing that tiny bit regarding you learning how to quilt. Was it one of those sewing machines that have a large cast iron pedal for you to use both feet to power it? I always see the iron bases for those machines and thought about making them into a table.

Deanna said...

Hi Tristan,
Those first clocks are truly great works of art...one would have to have the pocketbook of Miss Elizabeth Taylor to even think of purchasing one. They are however, wonderful to behold. One can dream though......

¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*´¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ Happy Pink Saturday
Deanna :D

Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden said...

Hi Tristan! Just popping over from visiting Berlin~
What a charming blog! Love the layout.

Great Pink Saturday post. I will certainly have to check out So Long At The Fair!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful pink Saturday post!

Nicola said...

How fabulous - I'm sure I could find a home for most of those gorgeous clocks :)

Sonia said...

Hey there, I'm a little late checking your pink post but I'm here!! I cracked up with the clock in the bathroom joke!! I really do like the grandma stylish clock...I'll settle for that. Pink cake one is cute too...
Hope youre having a great week!!
Sonia

vicki archer said...

Thanks for the movie tip, looks fab - I have just ordered it from Amazon, xv.

ceecee said...

Amazing that there are so many pink clocks! I love the one you suggested for the bathroom, and the deco one too. I have several clocks that I really love but that don't work - which doesn't bother me cause I never have to be anywhere! Sorry about your computer woes. I have a mouse that keeps picking up extra pages. It got stuck on someone's site yesterday and kept opening up the site over and over and over. I was screaming because I couldn't get it to stop! There must have been a gazillion hits on her site meter!
Gotta go make something -
Catherine

jeanne said...

Hello Tristan, you probably think I have fallen off the face of the earth but here I am loving your clocks. The last few were so much fun. All of the others, I really admired. I think I have your grandmother status. BIG smile. I adore your French music and your way with words.

Pink Sat. has improved since you joined us.

...Jeanne

Ricë said...

oooh, i need that pink and black one for the bathroom (black and white floor, hot pink walls with black trim). it would be perfect. and, of course, i deserve it, right?

Frieda Oxenham said...

I feel an urgent DVD buying moment coming on here! Thanks so much for the tip and for providing a place so full of beauty and fun, specially on the pink Saturdays!

Elizabeth Golden said...

These are great, I have a clock in my bathroom. That way I won't be late when I am fixing myself up for the world. I actually have one of these clocks, It was my grand mother's.