Saturday, April 14, 2018

What's behind this decaying vision of faded elegance?

Tuscany is known for its incredible rolling hills, Renaissance art, and Castello di Sammezzano. If the latter is unfamiliar, photographer Martino Zegwaard is here to change that.

Originally built in the 17th century, the Moorish now-abandoned castle underwent an expansion and colorful makeover in the 1800s, according to wimp.com. During this time period, it was home to Ferdinando Panciatichi Ximenes d'Aragona, a politician with a passion for architecture and botany.
In addition to reinventing the interiors, Panciatichi Ximenes d'Aragona also transformed the grounds, adding more than 130 rare and exotic plants to the gardens. Today, the castle's lush property is known as Historical Park.

The regal residence found new life in the 1970s as a hotel and restaurant, but closed down less than two decades later, sitting uninhabited, abandoned, and slowly aging for over 20 years.
But the Castello di Sammezzano could be making another comeback. Palmerston Hotels and Resorts recently purchased the stunning property and revealed plans to turn it into a luxury sporting resort, complete with a boutique hotel, apartments, spa, and country club.

While the castle and its grounds are typically closed off to the public, and will remain so with the redevelopment underway, Zegwaard was permitted to go inside to capture the grandeur of the historic residence. 
To see more photos of this stunning castle hidden in the hills of Tuscany, visit wimp.com .
Be sure to see the offerings of the other participants on Beverly's Pink Saturday Blog Hop!

Now, go make something beautiful!
¸.•´
¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*´¨)(¸.•´
(¸.•´♥ Tristan ♥ 
 I've made the decision to full-on full-out retire. I hope to still be able to create
things as the whim and desire and need finds me. But, no more deadlines and shops to keep
stocked up with (hopefully!) unique little bits and bobs and treasures!

So, I've been busy cleaning out and des-stashing my studio. My! What a lot one
artisan can collect over 30 years of making 'stuff!'

I've assembled box "lots" of things to sell on eBay. All the things I'm selling are
items I had the best intentions of using, but never did - or always needed another
just to make sure I never ran out! - or just because I had a coupon and used a lot.

I think I should have opened  supply store instead of being an artisan!
This is an example of one 'box lot' I've assembled. It's all the coordinating pieces
one could ever want to make a paper crafted project, memory/photo album, or
scrapbook - themed with Prima's lovely "Vintage Emporitum" paper collection.

If this sort of thing interests you, or if you know anybody who is always in need
of a good deal on mixed media art/craft supplies, please check out my list
of sales and auctions on ebay! I'll be listing through the rest of next week.
CLICK HERE
Thanks so much!
(Box Lot #6)

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

Oh my, Tristan. That building is magnificent. I wish I could remember the names of those arches that are in that one room -- like so many churches. They make that ceiling feel as though it is aloft! That's a stunner.

Good luck with your sale. I'll skip over and check it out although I'm trying desperately not to buy anymore mixed media supplies and indeed, should be doing what you are and unloading things! And I'll pass the word. That's a big decision to do the retirement thing but if you are like me you will love being able to do what YOU want to do for YOU and when you want to do it! Three cheers and congratulations.

Patrick Gaughan said...

Good reeading your post