Monday, April 20, 2015

"War Horse" my GoodReads Review




 My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Very interesting book...and quite touching, in a clean and non-cloying way.

I am familiar with the play, so I knew the basic plot line. I wish I had read the book first ... the play is SO powerful - and so theatrically charged with the larger-than-life stage puppets who play the horses - that the book seemed somewhat small to me. But, that's okay. It's really a small story - even though it's played against the world stage during intense and climatic moments.

It was a surprise to find the book is written in the first person - by the horse! Now, if I had known that, I might not have read it (it's just too cute an idea for me), and I would have been the real loser. Because it is completely believable and the way Joey (the war horse) reacts to people and other horses gives him a well-defined and completely rounded character. I truly care about this horse.

The writing is crisp and clean. No messy, paragraph-long descriptions of the battlegrounds or the lovely British countryside where the story begins and ends - yet, it is pitch perfect worded in a way that you can see every detail. The emotions of both people and horses are handled in the same efficient and heart felt way.

I highly recommend - to EVERYBODY! This isn't a war story, a horse story, a kid's story, a soldier's story - it a story of dignified loyalty and love that is rarely told as well.

View all my reviews

...Now, go make something beautiful!

¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*´¨)(¸.•´ 
(¸.•´♥ Tristan


 
 

2 comments:

Karena said...

I am putting this on my list right away Tristan. Thank you so much for the review!!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena
Artist Brad Oliphant

zandra said...

I'm always amazed how they make the wings so transparent. Love to know how to do that.
Hugz, Z